Sunday, September 23, 2018

UAAP: FEU Tamaraws vent ire on UP Maroons to atone for shock loss


FAR Eastern University came out guns firing and never looked back as it tore through University of the Philippines, 89-73, in the UAAP Season 81 on Sunday at the Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Coming off an upset loss at the hands of University of Santo Tomas last week, the Tamaraws laid the brunt of their rage on the Fighting Maroons as they opened the game with an 8-0 blast and never looked back.

Jasper Parker and Axel Iñigo set the tone early as they charged through the Maroons defense in the first half like bulls tearing through red cloth, before continuing to pounce on the Maroons in the second half – leading by as many as 25 points near the end of the third period.

The closest the Fighting Maroons ever got was within 14 early in the fourth but that the Tamaraws responded with bombs from beyond the arc to stymy that rally.

“It was a defensive game para sa amin. Yung opensa namin, bonus lang. Good job by everyone, the players stuck to our gameplan,” said FEU coach Olsen Racela as they improved to 2-1 for the season.

“Again, the run was an effect of our defense kaya nagalit ako nung nag 10-0 run sila (nung fourth). Hindi kami dapat nag-stop ng offense with offense. UP had an off night. Again, maganda rin yung naging execution namin,” he added.

Prince Orizu had a perfect night with 15 points on 7-7 shooting alongside seven boards while putting the clamps on Bright Akhuetie who finishe with nine points on 4-11 shooting.

Arvin Tolentino added 13 points, Wendell Comboy finished with 12 while Parker and Iñigo  finished with 11 points apiece.

Javi Gomez de Liano led the Maroons with 15 points as they dropped their second consecutive game following a rousing start to the season.

The scores:

FEU 89 – Orizu 15, Tolentino 13, Comboy 12, Parker 11, Inigo 11, Cani 8, Ebona 8, Tuffin 5, Stockton 3, Gonzales 2, Escoto 1, Bayquin 0

UP 73 – Gomez de Liano Ja 15, Gomez de Liano Ju 13, Manzo 11, Desiderio 10, Akhuetie 9, Prado 8, Vito 3, Murrell 2, Lim 2, Jaboneta 0, Tungcab 0, Gozum 0, Dario 0, Spencer 0

QUARTERS: 25-13, 49-35, 69-46, 89-73

In-form Phoenix continues to roll, deals Magnolia first loss


PHOENIX notched its third straight win, handing Magnolia a 95-82 defeat on Sunday in the PBA Governors’ Cup at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

Eugene Phelps had 36 points, 20 rebounds, and four blocks as the Fuel Masters improved  to 5-1 (win-loss) and extended the best start to a conference in franchise history.

As a misfiring Magnolia side slumped to its first loss in three games after making just 29 of 90 shots, Phoenix continued its rise since acquiring Calvin Abueva in a trade.

“For me, one of the best ang Magnolia especially sa defense. We were able to put a clamp on their offensive guys especially in the third quarter,” said Phoenix coach Louie Alas.

Phoenix is now in second place in the standings, just behind unbeaten Blackwater.

The Fuel Masters went on a 7-0 run to open a 82-72 lead midway through the fourth quarter. Phelps' two-hand jam extended the lead to 87-75 with 3:33 left.

Matthew Wright had 13 points, five rebounds, and four assists while Justin Chua had 12 points, eight rebounds, and three blocks for Phoenix, which also got nine points and 10 rebounds from Calvin Abueva.

Romeo Travis had 28 points, 19 rebounds, and two blocks but made just 11 of 21 shots, missing a number of attempts from point-blank range when the game got away from the Hotshots in the final stretch.

Jio Jalalon, Ian Sangalang, and Mark Barroca each added 11 points for the Hotshots. Jalalon, however, fouled out with five minutes left in the game.

The scores:

Phoenix 95 – Phelps 36, Wright 13, Chua 12, Revilla 9, Jazul 9, Abueva 9, Perkins 7, Wilson 0, Intal 0.

Magnolia 82 – Travis 28, Jalalon 11, Sangalang 11, Barroca 11, Lee 8, Ramos 6, dela Rosa 3, Melton 2, Galaminda 2, Reavis 0, Herndon 0, Pascual 0, Brondial 0.

Quarters: 30-19; 48-48; 71-67; 95-82.

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/in-form-phoenix-continues-to-roll-deals-magnolia-first-loss-a795-20180923?ref=feed_1_section

Bataan Risers make it eight MPBL wins in row after holding off Sharks

Former JRU star Bryon Villarias shows the way or Bataan. PHOTO: BATAAN RISERS FACEBOOK PAGE
BATAAN and Makati continued their impressive run in the MPBL Datu Cup at the Ynares Sports Center in Pasig.

Ex-pro Byron Villarias came away with a double double as the Risers survived a tough stand by the Cebu Sharks, 76-69, for a league-best eighth straight win.

The cousin of NLEX Road Warrior rookie guard Kiefer Ravena scored 11 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Two more others finished in double figures – Pamboy Raymundo with 12 and Jeepy Faundo with 10 - as Bataan improved to 8-1 for the solo lead in the Northern Division.

Villarias’ double-double effort was matched by Cedric Ablaza, who had 15 points and 10 boards in powering the Makati Skyscrapers to a tense 67-64 triumph over the Valenzuela Classic.

The 6-foot-3 Ablaza joined forces with ex-pro Rudy Lingganay in scoring the last three points from the free throw line for Makati, which won a second straight game to improve to 6-3.

Valenzuela, which dropped to 2-7 after a fifth straight loss, had a chance to send the game to overtime, but Rocky Acidre’s three-point try failed to hit the mark in the last two seconds.

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/byron-villarias-bataan-risers-cebu-sharks-mpbl-a1373-20180923?ref=feed_2_section

Olsen Racela relieved to see FEU Tamaraws quickly bounce back


OLSEN Racela is delighted with how his players responded following Far Eastern University’s upset loss at the hands of the University of Santo Tomas last week.

Displaying the fire and tenacity that was sorely missing in that game, the Tamaraws came up with their most impressive outing of the UAAP Season 81 so far, blowing past University of the Philippines on Tuesday.

“Good bounce back win. It had to take a game like we played against UST for us to really play things possession by possession,” said Racela.   

For the 47-year-old coach, it takes the pain of a loss to truly make his players realize the warnings that he’s been talking about.

And playing a strong team like the Fighting Maroons, he’s happy that they finally showed up.

“Hindi minor yun, major yun. Of course, yun yung klailangan namin matutunan. I always remind these players about that pero kailangan ata ma-experience muna nila,” Racela said.

“Hindi enough yung, parang akong magulang e. Di ba gaganyanin mo yung bata tapos papasok dito, lalabas dito, unless ma-experience nila talaga yung sinasabi mo, dun nila maiingraine sa utak nila. I think that’s what happened,” Racela added.

Racela believes the nine-day break allowed them to reflect on their mishaps and refocus on what they really wanted to do.

“I gave them two days off. Para makarecover sila. Killer week yun para sa amin eh,” said Racela.

“That was also an opportunity for us to focus on our fundamentals. I think It showed on this game.”



Prince Orizu eclipses Bright Akhuetie in matchup of top big men


PRINCE Orizu finally got a chance to play with his good pal in Bright Akhuetie in the UAAP Season 81 and it’s pretty clear who got the better of that match-up.

Orizu’s Far Eastern University came away with an 89-73 win over fellow Nigerian Akhuetie and University of the Philippines on Sunday in San Juan.

The 6-foot-8 slotman had 15 points and seven rebounds while also putting the clamps on the highly-touted Akhuetie who finished with nine points on 3-11 shooting.

“Bright is like one of my best friends. We push each other to do our best because he's a really good player,” said Orizu.

“I just needed to stand my ground because I did not want to be the friend who loses,” he added.

As Akhuetie continued to miss, Orizu was there picking his spots, making all of his seven shots to continue what has been an impressive season so far.

“Did not know that actually. I only knew about it when my teammates told me about it. We were focused on our defense and executing our offense so the shots just sort of came for me,” he said.

Coming off a disappointing loss against the University of Santo Tomas last week where he saw a career night of 25 points and 15 rebounds go down the drain, Orizu was determined to translate his stellar individual play to a win.

This time around, they got the results that they’ve wanted.

“It's all about about defense which Coach O (Olsen Racela) has been preaching a lot. Every since the pre-season, he was talking about the defensive game. We came short in UST because we didn't do very well on defense,” Orizu said.

“So I talked to my teammates and my coaches about how we can come back stronger. We remembered on how we played defense against La Salle. The offense itself just came in itself. We are more of a defensive team.”

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap-men/prince-orizu-bright-akhuetie-feu-tamaraws-up-maroons-uaap-season-81-a1331-20180923?ref=feed_2_section

Wolves granting Butler trade request after contrasting desires by management


AFTER keeping one of their stars, The Minnesota Timberwolves are eager to part ways with their other.

Following their move to sign Karl-Anthony Towns to a five-year, $190-million extension, the Wolves are determined to trade Jimmy Butler.

Shams Charania of The Athletic reported the development on Sunday, Manila time.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN solidified the report, saying Wolves owner Glen Taylor has instructed president and head coach Tom Thibodeau and general manager Scott Layden to put Butler on the trading block, ordering them to act swiftly on the matter.
Butler has been basically requesting for a trade after saying he has no intention to re-sign with the Wolves next summer. And it seems the Western conference club has given in to his wishes.
Layden, Wojnarowski said, has tried to deny inquiries from other teams about the availability of Butler, but the big boss has other plans.

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/nba/jimmy-butler-trade-request-minnesota-timberwolves-glen-taylor-scott-layden-tom-thibodeau-a1931-20180923?ref=feed_4_section

Etheridge surrenders five goals as Aguero, Manchester City blank Cardiff

Manchester City's David Silva, center left, celebrates with Sergio Aguero, right, and Bernardo Silva after scoring his side's second goal during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Fulham at Etihad stadium in Manchester, En PHOTO: AP
CARDIFF, Wales — Sergio Aguero celebrated signing a new contract with Manchester City by scoring the opening goal in a 5-0 win over Cardiff in the English Premier League on Saturday (Sunday, Manila time).

The Argentina striker's fourth league goal of the season came on his 300th appearance for City, which bounced back from its surprise midweek loss to Lyon in the Champions League.

Bernardo Silva, Ikay Gundogan and Riyad Mahrez — with two second-half goals as a substitute — also scored at Cardiff City Stadium as City recorded a fifth win in the opening six games of its title defense.

City announced on Friday that Aguero penned a one-year extension to his contract, tying him to the club until 2021 and likely meaning he'll see out a decade at Etihad Stadium.

The fans' favorite was back in the starting lineup after getting dropped to the bench against Lyon and was dangerous throughout, getting his goal in the 32nd by finishing off a squared ball by Bernardo.

The Portugal playmaker turned scorer three minutes later when he flicked in a cross from Leroy Sane.

Gundogan curled in a classy third just before halftime after exchanging passes with Raheem Sterling, before Mahrez scored in the 67th — with his first since joining in the offseason from Leicester — soon after replacing Aguero and again in the 89th.

https://www.spin.ph/football/neil-etheridge-cardiff-city-manchester-city-sergio-aguero-premier-league-a994-20180923?ref=feed_4_section

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Johansen Aguilar and Joshua Desamero for agonswim Florida Gators

Joshua Desamero
Johansen Aguilar
Both two are they would staying in the U.S. when Desamero was 16 and Aguilar was 16 at that time, he signed with agonswim to wear Florida Gators 1153-1 Mesh Training Suit Fully Front & Back Lined.


it also comes with speedo speedsocket Mirrored Goggle – Black (8-705890000)

speedo speedsocket Mirrored Goggle – Black (8-705890000)


Monday, September 10, 2018

ABS-CBN sets record straight on Nestle report

ABS-CBN News had no intention to cause misinformation when it published two stories about food and beverage giant Nestle's possible pullout from the Philippines last week.

ABS-CBN News' story, published on Sept. 6, on Nestle's plans in the Philippines, was based on a report from Nikkei Asian Review, a credible Japanese business news agency.

Following a clarification from Nestle on Sept. 7, and subsequent online criticism from administration supporters, ABS-CBN News re-validated the basis for Nikkei story, which was also carried as far back as Sept. 3 by the Manila Bulletin and the Manila Standard. The Philippine Star published its version on Sept. 5.

 There was no misrepresentation of comments made by Ernesto Mascenon, Senior Vice-President and Head of Corporate Affairs at Nestle's Philippine unit.

In an interview with reporters, Mascenon was asked about the second tranche of tax reforms aimed at companies, to which he replied:

"That's what we're requesting them, that TRAIN 2 address the disadvantage of the local manufacturers who use local agricultural products against those who are importing finished products especially from ASEAN."

Pressed how local manufacturers should benefit from tax reform, he said: "How can we become competitive? Is there a way? Kasi otherwise, the option for us is to, we will close down our manufacturing here and just move to Indonesia or Vietnam or Malaysia and import."

Nestle issued its clarification on Sept. 7, one day after the ABS-CBN report. ABS-CBN News published the clarification promptly on Sept. 7, which said "Nestle Philippines is not planning to close any of its manufacturing facilities in the Philippines.”

To avoid confusion, ABS-CBN News also updated the Sept. 6 story, to tell readers that Nestle has clarified the statement of its own official.

ABS-CBN News reported truthfully on the issue. We report on official comments as they are made, and report on succeeding statements, even if they are official denials.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/09/10/18/abs-cbn-sets-record-straight-on-nestle-report