By Ivan Saldajeno
MANILA--PBA commissioner Willie Marcial looks to resume the 45th season of Asia's premier play-for-pay basketball league in June as the entire Luzon is still reeling from the ongoing enhanced community quarantine due to the novel coronavirus.
"Ang nakikita kong pinaka-maagang balik ng PBA ay June. Kasi even if the country is able to flatten the COVID-19 curve in April or May, I have to give our teams a month of practices before we resume play," Marcial said via the PBA website on Sunday night.
The ECQ is scheduled to end by Easter, but an extension of the said lockdown to late April is looming with top government official, doctors, and scientists backing the said move.
"Hindi natin alam kung gaano katagal tatagal ito. Sana matapos na, at mawala na ang health threat. Pero hindi pa rin tayo makakabalik agad-agad," Marcial continued.
Only one game took place so far in the season, the opening night match between San Miguel and Magnolia on March 8.
Hours before the supposed March 11 doubleheader was scheduled to begin, the PBA announced that it will postpone games indefinitely.
He later announced that all the team practices and other related activities are also postponed until further notice.
With play likely resuming only by June, it is now possible that the PBA will only have two conferences this season if it wants to finish as scheduled by Christmas season or early next year.
On how the league will move on from the ECQ will depend on an online meeting by the league's board of governors early this week.
"Chairman Ricky Vargas has called a video conference. The board will assess the situation and will make a thorough study kung ano ang magandang gawin," Marcial bared.
Meanwhile, the PBA D-League Aspirants Cup could be facing a complete cancellation.
The season opening conference in the developmental league, which features 11 collegiate teams and one club, has only played two triple-headers prior to its indefinite postponement.
Assuming the D-League, like the PBA, resumes play by June, the collegiate teams will have a short time preparing for their respective mother leagues, the NCAA, UAAP, NAASCU, and the UCBL.
The NCAA is looking to start its 96th season by August, while the UAAP will open Season 83 in September.
https://www.dugout.ph/marcial-sees-resumption-of-play-by-june
Monday, April 06, 2020
Friday, April 03, 2020
PBA: League governors await gov’t signal when to resume
By Tito S. Talao
Three weeks after PBA commissioner Willie Marcial suspended the first conference Philippine Cup after only one game due to COVID-19 with no timetable for resumption, league governors are inclined to change nothing.
Initially, with the enhanced community quarantine implemented over Luzon on March 17 about to end in less than two weeks — unless an extension, even an expansion, is deemed inevitable, preliminary movement was anticipated from dormant PBA ballclubs.
As of Friday, however, such may not be the case.
“If ever the conference will resume, we will be given two weeks notice,” says PBA vice chairman Bobby Rosales of Columbian Dyip. “That’s the only time our team will resume practice. That’s the agreement as issued by the Commissioner’s Office.”
Rosales says no board meeting has been scheduled so far, meaning everything remains on hold.
“Meanwhile, everyone’s staying home. Some players in their own little way provide assistance during the lockdown and do their own physical conditioning.”
Atty. Mert Mondragon of the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters says the PBA will be taking its cue from the government.
“Pag na-lift yung lockdown, saka pag-uusapan sa PBA board kung ano ang gagawin,” says Mondragon.
Until then, says Erick Arejola of the NorthPort Batang Pier, health continues to be the principal focus.
“Safety of the whole PBA family is our immediate concern although we discuss and update each other online,” says Arejola.
“We are regularly monitoring the condition of our players, making sure they stay fit and healthy. What course of action we’ll take next will be based on Commissioner Marcial’s recommendation.”
The enforced social distancing scheme to help stop the spread of the coronavirus has made it impossible for the PBA governors to meet, prompting the Meralco Bolts’ Al Panlilio to advance the use of recent web-based video conferencing tools.
“Right now work from home is in place. We will review things weekly. Meetings are done through virtual means — MS Teams or Zoom,” says Panlilio, also president of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.
Dickie Bachmann of the Alaska Aces says staying home offers one of the best protections against the disease — and one of best ways to stay in shape.
“For now, sa bahay pa rin.. #homeworkoutchallenge for the team the past two weeks and we will continue to do it,” says Bachmann, who, along with Aces coach Jeffrey Cariaso, has devised a creative way to ensure their players’ fitness, even inviting Alaska fans to participate in the online workout challenge.
Monitoring the current situation, says Alfrancis Chua of Barangay Ginebra San Miguel, should give the PBA an idea how to proceed.
“Pag ako ang tatanungin, play by ear muna,” he says. “Hindi natin alam kung ano mangyayari pag magulo pa. Sa ‘kin lang, huwag muna maglaro. Para sa mga fans din, sa mga players at sa pamilya nila.”
Atty. Raymond Zorrilla of Phoenix Super LPG and Blackwater Elite’s Silliman Sy share the views of his PBA colleagues.
“We’re on standby,” declares Silliman.
Zorrilla, meanwhile, isn’t leaving anything to chance.
“As of now we will follow the government as to the measures imposed during the enhanced community quarantine,” he says. “If lockdown is lifted, we will still assess the situation and wait for the advice of the PBA.”
Zorrilla maintains their “primary consideration will always be the health of our players, staff, coaches and their families and the community in general.”
Phoenix players, he adds, “are in constant communication with our coaches for proper monitoring and physical exercises while in the comforts of their homes.
“Likewise, they have their own efforts in helping the community by providing relief packages and pooling donations for relief efforts.”
https://sports.mb.com.ph/2020/04/03/pba-league-governors-await-govt-signal-when-to-resume/
Three weeks after PBA commissioner Willie Marcial suspended the first conference Philippine Cup after only one game due to COVID-19 with no timetable for resumption, league governors are inclined to change nothing.
Initially, with the enhanced community quarantine implemented over Luzon on March 17 about to end in less than two weeks — unless an extension, even an expansion, is deemed inevitable, preliminary movement was anticipated from dormant PBA ballclubs.
As of Friday, however, such may not be the case.
“If ever the conference will resume, we will be given two weeks notice,” says PBA vice chairman Bobby Rosales of Columbian Dyip. “That’s the only time our team will resume practice. That’s the agreement as issued by the Commissioner’s Office.”
Rosales says no board meeting has been scheduled so far, meaning everything remains on hold.
“Meanwhile, everyone’s staying home. Some players in their own little way provide assistance during the lockdown and do their own physical conditioning.”
Atty. Mert Mondragon of the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters says the PBA will be taking its cue from the government.
“Pag na-lift yung lockdown, saka pag-uusapan sa PBA board kung ano ang gagawin,” says Mondragon.
Until then, says Erick Arejola of the NorthPort Batang Pier, health continues to be the principal focus.
“Safety of the whole PBA family is our immediate concern although we discuss and update each other online,” says Arejola.
“We are regularly monitoring the condition of our players, making sure they stay fit and healthy. What course of action we’ll take next will be based on Commissioner Marcial’s recommendation.”
The enforced social distancing scheme to help stop the spread of the coronavirus has made it impossible for the PBA governors to meet, prompting the Meralco Bolts’ Al Panlilio to advance the use of recent web-based video conferencing tools.
“Right now work from home is in place. We will review things weekly. Meetings are done through virtual means — MS Teams or Zoom,” says Panlilio, also president of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.
Dickie Bachmann of the Alaska Aces says staying home offers one of the best protections against the disease — and one of best ways to stay in shape.
“For now, sa bahay pa rin.. #homeworkoutchallenge for the team the past two weeks and we will continue to do it,” says Bachmann, who, along with Aces coach Jeffrey Cariaso, has devised a creative way to ensure their players’ fitness, even inviting Alaska fans to participate in the online workout challenge.
Monitoring the current situation, says Alfrancis Chua of Barangay Ginebra San Miguel, should give the PBA an idea how to proceed.
“Pag ako ang tatanungin, play by ear muna,” he says. “Hindi natin alam kung ano mangyayari pag magulo pa. Sa ‘kin lang, huwag muna maglaro. Para sa mga fans din, sa mga players at sa pamilya nila.”
Atty. Raymond Zorrilla of Phoenix Super LPG and Blackwater Elite’s Silliman Sy share the views of his PBA colleagues.
“We’re on standby,” declares Silliman.
Zorrilla, meanwhile, isn’t leaving anything to chance.
“As of now we will follow the government as to the measures imposed during the enhanced community quarantine,” he says. “If lockdown is lifted, we will still assess the situation and wait for the advice of the PBA.”
Zorrilla maintains their “primary consideration will always be the health of our players, staff, coaches and their families and the community in general.”
Phoenix players, he adds, “are in constant communication with our coaches for proper monitoring and physical exercises while in the comforts of their homes.
“Likewise, they have their own efforts in helping the community by providing relief packages and pooling donations for relief efforts.”
https://sports.mb.com.ph/2020/04/03/pba-league-governors-await-govt-signal-when-to-resume/
Olympic chiefs bracing for extra costs in rescheduling Tokyo Games
By Agence France-Presse
Olympic chiefs said Thursday they were bracing themselves for the extra costs incurred by rescheduling the Tokyo Games by a year to 2021.
The historic decision to postpone the summer Olympics by 12 months was taken this week amid the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. It was the first peacetime postponement of the Games.
According to the latest budget, the Games were due to cost $12.6 billion, shared between the organizing committee, the government of Japan and Tokyo city.
The postponement affects every aspect of the organisation — the Olympic Athletes’ Village, hotels, ticketing, venues and transport, being among the major headaches.
“What is being recognized is that there will be additional costs on one side for the Tokyo organizing committee and there will be additional costs for the IOC and Olympic family,” Christophe Dubi, the Olympic Games executive director, said in a conference call.
“We are looking into those with great detail. It is tens of thousands of lines of budget that need to be reviewed.”
The Tokyo organizing committee, Dubi said, “had a fantastic campaign in terms of marketing, ticketing, hospitality”.
“Tokyo 2020 was in a great financial position prior to the crisis.
“It is truly helpful because the revenues are incredibly high. That’s something we can rely on.”
Dubi said it was “reassuring” that the IOC and Japanese officials had a set date for the rescheduled Games in 2021.
“It’s very good because we have a date. For us, it means we have some certainty,” he said.
Turning to questions over athletes’ participation, IOC sports director Kit McConnell said nothing had been decided on those footballers currently under 23 years of age and eligible for an Olympics in 2020, but who would be a year older next year, with each team only allowed three over-23 players.
“We’re in discussions with federations, including FIFA,” McConnell said.
“There’s no decision yet, but it’s logical to look at that.”
McConnell added that all athletes who had already qualified for Tokyo 2020 would be eligible for 2021, although they are not necessarily guaranteed a spot as their presence depends on them making the cut for their national teams.
“The NOC (National Olympic Committee) retains the right to select athletes,” he said, with 57 per cent of the 11,300 athletes having already qualified.
McConnell said that the marathons and race walking events would take place in the northern city of Sapporo in 2021, as they would have done in 2020.
“The competition schedule remains in place and that includes Sapporo,” he said.
https://sports.mb.com.ph/2020/04/03/olympic-chiefs-bracing-for-extra-costs-in-rescheduling-tokyo-games/
Olympic chiefs said Thursday they were bracing themselves for the extra costs incurred by rescheduling the Tokyo Games by a year to 2021.
The historic decision to postpone the summer Olympics by 12 months was taken this week amid the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. It was the first peacetime postponement of the Games.
According to the latest budget, the Games were due to cost $12.6 billion, shared between the organizing committee, the government of Japan and Tokyo city.
The postponement affects every aspect of the organisation — the Olympic Athletes’ Village, hotels, ticketing, venues and transport, being among the major headaches.
“What is being recognized is that there will be additional costs on one side for the Tokyo organizing committee and there will be additional costs for the IOC and Olympic family,” Christophe Dubi, the Olympic Games executive director, said in a conference call.
“We are looking into those with great detail. It is tens of thousands of lines of budget that need to be reviewed.”
The Tokyo organizing committee, Dubi said, “had a fantastic campaign in terms of marketing, ticketing, hospitality”.
“Tokyo 2020 was in a great financial position prior to the crisis.
“It is truly helpful because the revenues are incredibly high. That’s something we can rely on.”
Dubi said it was “reassuring” that the IOC and Japanese officials had a set date for the rescheduled Games in 2021.
“It’s very good because we have a date. For us, it means we have some certainty,” he said.
Turning to questions over athletes’ participation, IOC sports director Kit McConnell said nothing had been decided on those footballers currently under 23 years of age and eligible for an Olympics in 2020, but who would be a year older next year, with each team only allowed three over-23 players.
“We’re in discussions with federations, including FIFA,” McConnell said.
“There’s no decision yet, but it’s logical to look at that.”
McConnell added that all athletes who had already qualified for Tokyo 2020 would be eligible for 2021, although they are not necessarily guaranteed a spot as their presence depends on them making the cut for their national teams.
“The NOC (National Olympic Committee) retains the right to select athletes,” he said, with 57 per cent of the 11,300 athletes having already qualified.
McConnell said that the marathons and race walking events would take place in the northern city of Sapporo in 2021, as they would have done in 2020.
“The competition schedule remains in place and that includes Sapporo,” he said.
https://sports.mb.com.ph/2020/04/03/olympic-chiefs-bracing-for-extra-costs-in-rescheduling-tokyo-games/
Thursday, April 02, 2020
Catriona Gray raises P1 million for families in Smokey Mountain amid COVID-19
Catriona Gray has helped raise $20,000 (about P1 million) to provide rice to the families in Smokey Mountain in Manila that have been affected by the enhanced community quarantine.
The Miss Universe 2018 winner gave an update on the initiative and thanked those who helped on her Instagram page yesterday, April 1.
Using the amount collected, Gray, along with Young Focus PH and other local nongovernment organizations, has distributed 15-kilogram bags of rice to 790 families in the depressed community. They are also set to hand out more bags to 1,000 more families tomorrow, April 3.
The beauty queen does not plan on ending her initiative soon, and urged her followers to continue donating to the effort. She noted that one 15-kilogram bag of rice costs $11 (P550). Those interested in helping may course their monetary donations through this page.
Along with Gray, other celebrities such as Angel Locsin, Anne Curtis and Enchong Dee have also extended their help to those affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. /ra
https://entertainment.inquirer.net/370282/catriona-gray-raises-p1-million-for-families-in-smokey-mountain-amid-covid-19
The Miss Universe 2018 winner gave an update on the initiative and thanked those who helped on her Instagram page yesterday, April 1.
Using the amount collected, Gray, along with Young Focus PH and other local nongovernment organizations, has distributed 15-kilogram bags of rice to 790 families in the depressed community. They are also set to hand out more bags to 1,000 more families tomorrow, April 3.
“Because of your generosity almost 2,000 Filipino families will not go hungry and be able to stay home to protect their families health as well as their own!” she said.
The beauty queen does not plan on ending her initiative soon, and urged her followers to continue donating to the effort. She noted that one 15-kilogram bag of rice costs $11 (P550). Those interested in helping may course their monetary donations through this page.
Along with Gray, other celebrities such as Angel Locsin, Anne Curtis and Enchong Dee have also extended their help to those affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. /ra
https://entertainment.inquirer.net/370282/catriona-gray-raises-p1-million-for-families-in-smokey-mountain-amid-covid-19
Tuesday, March 31, 2020
Monday, March 30, 2020
Johansen Aguilar for adidas
![]() |
| Johansen Aguilar |
He wears 2009 Adidas DLSU Hoodie (white-green) and pant (green) and 2011 Nike exclusive De La Salle Dri-Fit tee (green) that bundled with speedo Aqua V Silicone Swimming Cap - Black (8-087750001), speedsocket Unisex Goggle - Black (8-705895555) and FASTSKIN FS-PRO Men's Bodysuit - Black (8-008053218).
![]() |
| 2009 Adidas DLSU Hoodie (white-green) |
![]() |
| 2011 Nike exclusive De La Sall Dri-Fit tee (green) |
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)




















































