Saturday, May 02, 2020

PBA to wait until August before deciding on fate of suspended season

By Jonas Terrado

The PBA will wait until August to decide whether to resume or cancel the 45th season currently on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Commissioner Willie Marcial said after Saturday’s teleconference with the league’s Board of Governors that the option of cancelling the season lies on whether the ongoing health crisis will continue to affect the country until the target timeline.

“Maghihintay kami until August to decide whether it’s still a go or a season cancellation,” Marcial said, as quoted by PBA.ph after the online meeting called by league chairman Ricky Vargas of TNT KaTropa.
 
PBA officials made this decision in reaction to the government’s recent decision to extend the Enhanced Community Quarantine in Metro Manila and select regions and a General Community Quarantine in other areas.

The government’s Inter-Agency Task Force had earlier decided that sports-related gatherings are barred under the ECQ and GCQ, thus making things difficult for an earlier return of the games.

Cancelling the season will be unprecedented for the league, which has never endured any disruption of this magnitude since it opened shop in 1975.

Weather-related issues and even a court order back in 2000 had forced the PBA to suspend games, but only on a short-term basis.

Meanwhile, the board also announced the suspension of any trades and the signing of players currently on the free agent market during the current situation.

Marcial, however, said teams can re-sign players whose contract have expired.

UAAP not in a position to make decision on new season, says Saguisag

THE UAAP is not in a rush to make any decisions regarding its future.

UAAP executive director Rebo Saguisag clarified that the league is still closely monitoring the situation brought upon by the global COVID-19 pandemic and when everything stabilizes, that's only when the decisions can be made.

"There seems to be confusion when there shouldn't be," the amiable executive said in a message to Spin.ph.

"We are not in any position to make decisions right now. We'll meet after May 15 and a lot depends on what the health experts and the government will say."

UAAP Season 82 came to a sudden halt in March following the spread of the virus in the country and the subsequent Luzon-wide lockdown, forcing the league to indefinitely suspend operations.

The remainder of the season was eventually cancelled on April 7, putting an abrupt end to the athletic calendar.

Scrapped were majority of the second semester events headlined by the much-anticipated volleyball tournaments. Also cancelled were the staging of football, baseball, softball, athletics, lawn tennis, 3x3 basketball and juniors beach volleyball tournaments as well as the streetdance and the demonstration sport of ballroom.

The league's Board of Managing Directors (BMD), made up of the athletic directors of eight member-schools met in an online conference last month.

Saguisag said that the BMD will once again convene in a still to be determined date depending on what the government permits under the quarantine rules.

"Mas lilinaw lahat after May 15 hopefully. That, I guess, will be the first order of business. It depends are we in ECQ, GCQ, or MCQ, on what is allowed and what's not allowed. And then we'll build from there," he said.

Among issues to be discussed is if a general championship will be awarded for the shortened UAAP Season 82 given that much of the tally is dominated by the completed first semester sports.

Based on Spin.ph's unofficial tally, University of Santo Tomas leads in both the seniors and juniors division.

UST has 209 points in the college level, putting it on pace for its fourth straight and 44th overall general championship.

Trailing the Growling Tigers are La Salle (181 points), Ateneo (162), and University of the Philippines (137).

The same was the case in the high school level, with UST collecting 159 points and is poised for its sixth consecutive crown and 21st overall.

Behind the Tiger Cubs are La Salle (122 points), National University-Nazareth School (114), and Far Eastern University-Diliman (97).

Also a point of contention is the status of players who were supposed to be in their final playing years, especially those who are already over the age of 25 such as Ateneo's Kat Tolentino and NU's Risa Sato.

Ateneo, the Season 82 host, has not formally turned over the hosting to La Salle, which was scheduled to take over for Season 83.

Meanwhile, the NCAA is looking at November for its formal opening, and Cebu’s Cesafi scrapped its next season altogether.

"All those matters are tabled," said Saguisag.

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap-men/saguisag-explains-uaap-fate-not-entirely-in-league-s-hands-a2437-20200502

Friday, May 01, 2020

UAAP seniors could be eligible again for Season 83

UAAP’s graduating seniors, whose final year in the league was foiled by the cancellation of the games last month due to the corona virus pandemic, could still return for Season 83.

Board member Rod Roque of University of the East confirmed to Inquirer that graduating student-athletes, who played in the second semester of the canceled season, could still play in Season 83 if they fit the criteria set by the league.

This moved was approved after the UAAP Board convened on April 30.

The first rule of eligibility for the seniors is that should not be over 25-years-old during Season 83.

If already graduated from the school, student-athletes should also take up a second bachelor’s degree or enroll at the graduate school to be able to play.

“They are still qualified to play as long as they are still 25-years-old,” said Roque. “The student-athletes can enroll to a second degree or at the graduate school.”

“This is for the second semester sporting events, they can still play as long as they haven’t used up their five playing years and they’re still of age,” said Roque.

Season 82’s second semester sports were canceled after the national government declared enhanced community quarantine in Luzon to curb the spread of COVID-19.

The volleyball, football, baseball, softball, athletics, lawn tennis, basketball 3×3, ballroom formation dance, and streetdance competitions were all affected.

Thursday, April 30, 2020

NCAA Season 96 looking at November start

The 96th season of the National Collegiate Athletic Association is being forced by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic to move its start date way later than it had intended to.

Initially being scheduled to begin on August this year, Season 96 is now being eyed to open on November. This as the Inter-Agency Task Force has put sports under sectors that cannot operate even during the general enhanced quarantine to avoid mass gatherings.

“Fine-tuning pa. Marami pang aayusin. Baka early next week pa maipasa ang proposal to the policy board,” said Season 95 Chairman Peter Cayco of Arellano University.

“We have to consider a lot of things.”

Serving as host of Season 96 is Colegio de San Juan de Letran, an institution celebrating its 400th year.

Incoming chairman Fr. Vic Calvo, OP is working hand in hand with Jose Rizal University’s Paul Supan in formulating the contingencies for the upcoming season. It will have to be approved by the presidents of each member school — the Grand Old League’s policy board.

However, Calvo and Letran cannot plan anything yet since the hosting rights have yet to be turned over to them.

“We are still waiting for the league’s resolution and them formalizing our hosting,” Calvo said.

Also being factored is when the Commission on Higher Education will open classes in colleges and universities.

Season 95 was cut short by the pandemic, formally ceasing the tournament last March 19.

Events that were canceled were indoor volleyball, football, lawn tennis, soft tennis, track and field, under-15 basketball, and beach volleyball, as well as the cheerdance competition.

https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/ncaa-season-96-looking-november-start/183902

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

PBA may scrap season 45

A PBA season drawn up as a caravan of celebrations, with stops practically all over the country and even overseas, has gone awry.

PBA commissioner Willie Marcial said the league is ready to call off the COVID-hit Season 45 altogether if resumption of play won’t still be possible by September or October.

“Government is considering the opening of classes by September. We’ll see kung papayagan na rin yung mass gathering (by that time). Kung hindi pa papayagan ang sports, baka i-cancel na natin yung season,” said Marcial.

The PBA board of governors is looking to convene online again this week for more discussions on the league’s situation and actions amid the pandemic that has crippled all sectors.

Metro Manila is currently under extended enhanced community quarantine until May 15. In case this will later be downgraded to general community quarantine status, activities involving large crowds won’t be allowed immediately.

If everyone’s worst fear happens, this will be the first time Asia’s first play-for-pay league will scrap an entire season.

“(If ever) Season 46 na tayo. Start ng March (2021). Yung champions ng three conferences ng Season 44, they will defend their crowns then; rookies (of Season 45) ay rookies pa rin, tapos madadagdagan pa (from 2020 Draft),” he said.

Prior to the coronavirus pandemic, the PBA was looking at a bevy of marquee projects to mark its 45th anniversary, and has projected record numbers in terms of revenues.

“Kung walang basketball, wala rin tayong activities. Malaking sakripisyo ang nangyayari sa PBA,” said Marcial.

The league set out to launch the inaugural 3x3 tournament and implement measures to improve officiating and the referees/table officials development program.

It also aimed to continue to reach out to the less fortunate and perform CSR activities, including Home Court where players and officials visit barangay street courts, Open Practice in college gyms, Blood Donation Drive, Kids Day Out, Make A Wish Foundation, World Vision, PBA Heroes and Veterans and PBA Run For A Cause.

The PBA also planned an exhibit road show of video clips, memorabilia and jerseys spanning 45 years in a docu-like production, which Marcial dubbed a “virtual multi-museum.”

But in this time of crisis, the league has done its share, donating P1 million worth of personal protective equipment (PPE) to health workers in Pasig, Antipolo and BiƱan, Laguna.

https://www.philstar.com/sports/2020/04/28/2010206/pba-may-scrap-season-45

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Season cancellation among possibilities as PBA weighs options after another ECQ extension

The Philippine Basketball Association is weighing its options as the enhanced community quarantine got extended once again to May 15, which delays the league's possible return to an even later date.

PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial bared that the PBA Board of Governors are set to convene next week to discuss actions the league could take amid the crisis.

With only the opening day ceremonies and first game between San Miguel Beermen and Magnolia Hotshots in the books, the PBA had to suspend its season until further notice due to the Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Pandemic.

Although nothing's cast in stone yet, Marcial shared that there's a possibility that the PBA 45th season will be reduced to a single-conference format, or worse, get thoroughly cancelled.

Marcial explained to Courtside Philippines that everything will depend on when the ECQ will be lifted and allow mass gatherings.

"Hinhintay lang talaga natin yung sa mass gathering na yung government kung papayagan na tayo," said Marcial who pointed out that the league can still resume its season even as late as October.

"Kung maextend 'yun (ECQ), pwede pa naman tayo na payagan yung mass gathering by June, pwede naman tayo (mag resume)ng July. Kapag hindi, sinasabi na magsimula ng September pwede tayo magsimula ng October one conference na lang iyon," he added.

If things comes to worst, Marcial is not setting aside the possibility of season cancellation.

"Kung di talaga pwede, cancellin natin yung season," added the PBA chief.

Should the season gets cancelled, champions of the 44th Season will still be the defending champions for the league's 46th season which will likely start by next year

"Cancel of the season wala nang 45th magiging 46th na season na yung susunod so yung mga dating champion, sila pa rin ang defending ganun pa rin ang mangyayari dun."

Marcial, however, insists he, himself, could not tell what will be the fate of the PBA's 45th year.

"Depende nga kasi di pa kami makagalaw dahil di natin alam kung papayagan tayo ng government mag mass gathering, hangga't di nila pinapayagan yun, di pa rin talaga tayo pwede kahit na practices."

https://courtside.ph/article/4278/season-cancellation-among-possibilities-as-pba-weighs-options-after-another-ecq-extension

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Excerpt: "Albert, Arum asked to appear at Manila court"

The alleged “bastardized” version of Lupang Hinirang was sang by Martin Nievera at the start of the bout between Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on May 3, 2009.


In objecting to Nievera’s rendition of the Philippine National Anthem, the NHI cited Section 37 of Republic Act (RA) No. 8491 (1998 Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines) which provides that “the rendition of the National Anthem, whether played or sung, shall be in accordance with the musical arrangement and composition of Julian Felipe.”


Felipe is the original music arranger of Lupang Hinirang in 1898. It has tune of march and the lyrics was adapted from the Spanish poem “Filipinas” written by Jose Palma only in 1899.


The NHI, in coordination with the proper government agency, shall disseminate an official music score sheet that reflects the manner in which the national anthem should be played or sung.


When the national anthem is played, the public is required to sing and do so “with fervor.”

They are expected to sing while the right hand is placed over the left chest. Uniformed personnel, meanwhile, are to salute the flag as prescribed by their respective regulations.

Individuals whose faith prohibit them from singing “Lupang Hinirang” must still show full respect.

The national anthem, however, would not be allowed to be played and sung preceding “events of recreation, amusement, or entertainment purposes.”

But the anthem may be played during the following: international competitions where the Philippines is the host or has a representative; national and local sports competitions, during the “signing off” and “signing on” of radio broadcasting and television stations, before the initial and last screening of films and before the opening of theater performances; Provided, that the owners and management of the establishments shall be mandated to enforce proper decorum and implement the pertinent provisions of this act; civic activities, cultural shows or presentations and other occasions as may be allowed by the NHI.

The Oath of Patriotism (Panatang Makabayan) must be recited after the singing of the national anthem in basic educational institutions. The Pledge of Allegiance (Panunumpa ng Katapatan sa Watawat ng Pilipinas) may be recited as well, though the law did not specify who is required to do so.

In Section 20 of the law states: “The observance of the flag ceremony in official or civic gatherings shall be simple and dignified and shall include the playing and mandatory singing of the national anthem in its original Filipino lyrics and march tempo.”

When Nievera belted out Lupang Hinirang, it started slowly, took on a martial beat in the middle, then finally ended on a sustained high note.

The same law punishes failure or refusal to observe the provisions of the code with public censure, “which shall be published at least once in a newspaper of general circulation. The guilty person may be fined up to P 5,000 or imprisoned for not more than a year, or “be meted with both penalties, at the discretion of the court.”

All citizens to stand at attention and sing with fervor, as a sign of respect, when the National Anthem is played at public gatherings.

Even moviegoers who do not stand up when the National Anthem is being played in cinemas will be sanctioned, as it empowers the security personnel and ushers in movie houses to arrest a violator and summon law enforcement officers to assist in conducting citizens' arrest.

But Nievera has maintained he did nothing wrong, and he is unrepentant. He insisted he interpreted the song the way he “understood” it.

After 11 years, the National Anthem 1998 Centennial Version during the Presidency of Joseph Estrada making a comeback on ABS-CBN, S+A, PTV, One TV, One Sports, IBC, BEAM TV, now in digitally restored, remastered and in 4K UHD and 1080p Widescreen.











While on GMA-7 and GMA News TV-27 is the 1994 version produced by BPI.